New books smell good but used books save your money. New books are worth buying if you wish to keep it on your bookshelf for a long and read again and again. For all other reasons, it is better to buy used books. Here are some of the reasons why.
- They are affordable. Most used books cost half the price or even less than a new book. There are many books which we read only once and it is not wise to spend so much money on it.
- Used book stores have some rare collection of books that you won’t find in a normal book store. If you are fond of ancient books then you should visit a used book store.
- Used bookstores usually organize different community readings or literacy programs to promote reading. These events will help you to meet different people and share your thoughts about the various books you have read.
- The new edition of a book usually doesn’t have much difference than the previous edition. So, it’s better to buy the older edition and save money.
- Old books may have margin notes which can be entertaining to read. It can give you different perspective of what you are reading.
- You can pass the book without any hesistance to someone else for reading. This way you can create a reading community.
- You protect the environment by buying old books. The cost of landfill can be big; buying used book is like recycling it.
If you have the option, buy an old book provided it’s in a good condition. The used book stores help building a community where people can share their thoughts and develop reading habits. Buy buying an old book you can be part of this noble mission.